4 Tips for Repairing Your Car After an Accident

Your car is an important part of your lifestyle. It’s your means of transportation and many people rely on theirs to get to work and important appointments. If you’re in a car accident, you’re probably going to need to get your car repaired. This can be a stressful process for many people, so it is important to know what you are doing. Here are some tips to help you repair your car after an accident.

1. Work with Insurance

There were nearly 750,000 hit-and-run accidents in 2015. That was 11.7% of the accidents recorded that year. Many others included drivers who were not at fault. If you were not at fault in the accident, you’ll either work with your own insurance or the other driver’s. Either way, you need to stay in touch with them and make sure they have all the information they need from you. They will get an estimate for the damage and tell you how much they’re going to cover. They may also have preferred mechanics they want you to work with. While you might need to fight with the insurance company sometimes, you want working with them to go as smoothly as possible. They’re the ones who will be covering the expenses, so make sure that you work with them and get your money as soon as you can.

2. Make Sure You Use the Right Garage

If your insurance wants you to go to a certain garage, you’re often better off doing so. Other times, you are fine as long as you go to a qualified garage. They’ll be able to assess the damage and figure out what to do with your car. Sometimes they can’t fix it and it needs to be discarded. Certain parts can be recycled while others can’t. In fact, only about 80% of a car is salvageable. The other 20% is known as auto shredder residue and can’t be used in anything else. As long as you go to a good garage that your insurance will cover, you’ll be able to get your car’s damage repaired.

3. Don’t Do the Repairs Yourself

You might be tempted to fix your car yourself and pocket the money. While that money could benefit your lifestyle, it won’t help your car. You should always get your car fixed by a professional after an accident. Painting it yourself can cause you to miss important problems. A can of paint can last three to five years when stored properly, so you may use it for touch-ups. But your car is likely to have damage you aren’t able to see. If you fix it yourself and don’t repair those problems, they will get bigger and more dangerous. Resist the temptation to go cheap for your repairs and put the money where it is supposed to go.

4. Ask Any Questions You Might Have

Insurance companies and repair shops can be difficult to understand. The people who work there are also human, meaning they make mistakes sometimes. If you’re unsure of anything as you’re getting your car repaired, don’t be afraid to ask questions. You should always know what is going on since it is your property in question. Ask questions and write down the responses so that you don’t forget them. This will help you get the best possible results.

You need to repair your car after an accident in order to continue living your same lifestyle. If you’re unsure how to go about this, use these tips to guide you. They’ll help you figure out where to start and how to continue the process from there.